Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Movie Review: Up





There ought to be two standards of greatness for films: Regular great and Pixar great. I mean, that's the only way to make things fair. I cannot think of a production company on a bigger roll than the folk at Pixar. Toy Story (I&II), Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall*E, Ratatouille, Monsters Inc., A Bugs Life... that is a fine display of quality film making. (Yes, I left out Cars. That is because I have not seen it. I don't watch things that have Larry the Cable Guy in them. Not gonna happen--ever.)

All of this leads us to their latest offering, Up. In a word, genius. Really, this movie is about as good as movies get. Touching, sweet, funny, and with something on its mind that ought to lead to some nice conversations between parents and children of any age.

"A pleasure is only full grown when it is remembered."-- C.S. Lewis

That quote popped into my mind when the credits rolled at the end. And, of course, to remember something, you've got to let the experience go, to surrender it to time, to memory. That's really what Up is all about.

It's the story of a man, Carl, who is driven to act (in the most extreme, imaginative way I can remember on screen) because he is desperately holding on to the memory of his beloved wife, Ellie. You can't blame him for it. As we see in a beautifully framed montage of their lives together, Ellie was quite a woman. Full of passion and an adventurous spirit, she elevated Carl's life in the same way those helium balloons he's made a career selling lifted his sales cart. But she dies, never having visited Paradise Falls, their dream adventure-vacation set somewhere in South America.

Carl is left alone, in their wonderful dream house, which he has maintained as a monument to Ellie, even still speaking to her as if she were standing next him. The house, you might say, is used as a metaphor for Ellie herself--certainly their life together. Greedy developers have beset Carl at all sides and are just waiting to take his property, too. After an accidental beating at Carl's hands, the retirement home seems destined to be Carl's future.

Not content to go quietly in that good night, Carl makes a choice that sets the movie in motion and takes the audience on a wonderful ride. I know, this doesn't sound particularly funny, but trust me, the funny comes. Along the way, we meet a young stowaway, Russell, the Wilderness Scout, and a talking dog named Dug. Actually, we meet lots of talking dogs--I mean, lots of them. And believe me when I tell you that they nearly steal the show with their zaniness. Oh, we also meet a giant bird, Kevin, who is not quite what "he" seems.

I refuse to give away plot points, so let me just say that Up is fantastic. Whimsical, funny, exhilarating at times, and with a profound message. From a technical standpoint, also fantastic. Not a thing wasted on screen--not even squirrel jokes. The colors are vibrant, the animation as good as any Pixar has created (though perhaps not at amazing as the detail on Ratatouille), and the script tight and well written.

If I'm a movie reviewer, I'm going to need symbols to say how good something is, right? Thumbs are taken, stars are over-used... Four/Four Torches!

I encourage you to talk about the movie in the comments section. Please, don't give away spoilers w/out a *Spoiler Alert*. Now, go see Up.

15 comments:

Pitafish said...

I saw Up this past Saturday, and I will admit I enjoyed every moment of it. It's expected of Pixar to entertain us with their creative storytelling and animation, but the question lies in how they blow us away with every new feature they produce. Of course, the secret lies in never repeating themselves in story or in context.

Although I can't call Up Pixar's current opus, it still ranks pretty high up on my list of favorite movies done by the company.

Anonymous said...

Who are you?

The TORCH said...

"Of course, the secret lies in never repeating themselves in story or in context."

That's part of it, certainly, but not all of it. It's not simply that the stories are original but also that there is some remarkable talent creating these films. The effort put in by these talented freaks (used in the best sense of the word) is what, I think, sets them apart.

The TORCH said...

"Who are you?" says the Anonymous poster. ;)

Pitafish said...

Of course, and I thank them greatly for their individual talents.

Anonymous said...

Are you mocking me mr. Adolfo? (lol)

The TORCH said...

Moi??? I would NEVER...

Anonymous said...

"Moi??? I would NEVER..." doesn't sound like mr. Adolfo....

Unknown said...

You haven't seen Cars?!?! Okay, all prejudices aside (I don't know enough about Larry Cable the Guy to have any critiques one way or the other), Cars is a fabulous movie. Great messages, and I would dare say that the climax is more Christian than most Christian "pop" movies I have seen in terms of the lesson it teaches. We have it if you want to borrow it... or come watch it with me at my house.

Anonymous said...

I loved up "Up" so much and I could totally relate to Ellie as I too was an ugly, spastic, toothless kid. I think it was my favorite Pixar movie. I have heard from some people that they thought it was too heavy, but I disagree. It was real...well, for the most part. lol It also showed you how to move on with your life while still holding on to your memories, but not letting them tie you down. It's good to remember the good times you've had, but it's not good to always live in the past and wallow in sadness because they are over, which is something I struggle with.

Chunk said...

"Up" was the cutest/sweetest movie I've seen in a looong time. My dad liked it better than the new Star Treck...and that's saying a lot. He also mentioned that it was his favorite Disney movie since "Beauty and the Beast". I'm not that extreme, but I did love the movie and all its adorableness.

Anonymous said...

BOB
Really??? WOW..sorry thats hard to beleive.
I haven't seen "up" but i did see "cars" a while back.
-----------------
;)
yeah...the Anonymous person [not me] asks "who are you?" very ironic. But still a good question. He or She probablly asked that because of the photo that says "yes i am evil" and for the fact this is a Cristian [Catholic] youth group..just saying...

The TORCH said...

And we welcome PitaFish, whomever she may be, to our blog in a spirit of Charity! Stick around, 'Fish, and maybe even join us at a TORCH event one day!

Anonymous said...

please do come!!! We always have fun and i believe you will enjoy it just like we do!!!!
----------------------------------
;)

Snosuke said...

I dissagree, UP was not a great movie at all. It was way tooo sad. Any movie that makes me cry more than once is not a good movie. Especially when I paid to see a happy movie. The total amount of times i cried during this movie was 3. Once in the begginning (Movie's should never make u cry in the begginning)when Elli died.
The second time was when he is remencing over the adventure photo book. That was very sad.
The third one was when he let the house go with all its memories.
Another thing i didn't like was Russle talked about his dad comming tio see him gety his badge but at the end teh dad wasn't there, only the old man. It was way too sad for my liking. All the good lines were already veiwed during the preveiws which left none of the good lines left. The only part i liked at all were the ones with Doug. He was the only happy go lucky character in teh whole movie. I don't recommend this movie at all.